SARS-CoV-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2), also known as novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV, causes fever, severe respiratory illness and can lead to life threatening pneumonia. The first cases of this disease, termed COVID-19 for coronavirus disease 2019, have been detected in December 2019 in Wuhan, China.
SARS-CoV-2 Prot_S stands for the surface glycoprotein of SARS-CoV-2, the “spike protein”. This protein is responsible for the recognition and binding of the coronavirus to the host cell. Once SARS-CoV-2 has bound to the ACE2 receptor of the host cell, fusion of viral envelope and host cell membrane initiate, which enables the viral genome to enter the host cell. Thus, the spike proteins are crucial for the infection of cells with coronaviruses and have been suggested as possible target for vaccine development.
The PepTivator SARS-CoV-2 Prot_S covers selected immunodominant sequence domains of the spike protein (aa 304–338, 421–475, 492–519, 683–707, 741–770, 785–802, and 885–1273).
In contrast, PepTivator SARS-CoV-2 Prot_S Complete covers all functional domains (aa 5–1273), Prot_S1 the complete N-terminal S1 domain (aa 1–692) and Prot_S+ parts of the C-terminal S2 domain (aa 689–895). The complete S2 domain (and parts of the S1 domain: aa 304–338, 421–475, and 492–519) is covered, when PepTivator SARS-CoV-2 Prot_S and Prot_S+ are combined.
PepTivator SARS-CoV-2 Prot_S – research grade has been specifically developed for in vitro
stimulation of SARS-CoV-2– specific T cells. Peptides of 15 amino acids in length and 11 amino acids overlap represent an optimized solution for stimulating both CD4+
T cells in various applications, including:
- Detection and analysis of SARS-CoV-2–specific CD4+ and CD8+ effector/memory T cells in PBMCs by MACS® Cytokine Secretion Assays, intracellular cytokine staining, or other technologies.
- Isolation of viable SARS-CoV-2–specific CD4+ T cells with the CD154 MicroBead Kit, or of viable CD4+ and CD8+ T cells using MACS Cytokine Secretion Assay – Cell Enrichment and Detection Kits. Subsequently, cells can be expanded for generation of T cell lines.
- Generation of SARS-CoV-2–specific CD4+ and CD8+ effector/ memory T cells from naive T cell populations.
- Pulsing of antigen-presenting cells, e.g. for research on dendritic cell vaccination.
- The PepTivator SARS-CoV-2 Prot_S+ can be combined with PepTivator SARS-CoV-2 Prot_S (# 130-126-700; # 130-126-701) for covering the complete C-terminal S2-domain of the spike protein (and parts of the S1 domain: aa 304–338, 421–475, and 492–519).
More information regarding the work with antigen-specific T cells can be found in the T cell application section.